My Plein Air Essentials
There are both challenges and rewards to working outdoors. The greatest reward is simply putting myself in the way of beauty. Some of the challenges are wind, sudden downpours, wet canvases falling in the dirt, bugs flying into and "joining" the painting, and 90 or 100 degree summer afternoons. The challenges lessen as I perfect my own approach to painting outside.
One of my biggest challenges used to be hauling all of my supplies to a painting sight. I've meticulously whittled down what I bring to the bare essentials. Here's my list:
1. Soltek Easel
2. Richeson Grey Matters Paper Palette 12 x 16 + Sticky Tac
Tip: Leave the palette pad at home. Instead, roll a few sheets in your paper towel roll for transport and attach to Soltek palette with sticky tac. This makes for fast clean up.
3. Bungee Cord + Viva Paper Towels
4. Waste Bag + Bulldog Clip
5. Guerrilla Painter Stainless Steele Brush Washer (leakproof)
6. Atlas Gardening Gloves (keeps hands clean)
7. Limited selection of brushes and palette knifes
8. Limited selection of oil paints 37ml
9. Guerrilla Painter Shadebuddy Umbrella
10. Hat + Apron
11. Canvas Carrier + Canvases
12. Skip Hop Signature Duo Diaper Bag
Tip: use stroller straps to attach bag to easel
13. Picture Perfect 3 in 1 Plus View Finder
14. Sun Screen + bug spray
15. Wet Wipes
17. Thinksport Insulated Sports Bottle (2) 500ml
Tip: fits into Skip Hop side bottle pockets.
18. Emergency kit in car